Our Mission: Tallgrass Custom Wood Products applies the principles of biodiversity conservation to sustain the integrity of Kansas' forests and foster the wise use of wood resources.
Our Vision: Tallgrass Custom Wood Products strives to improve the quality of life in Kansas by serving as a model of business integrity and environmental sustainability.
Our Management: Tallgrass Custom Wood Products is a family-operated, limited liability company located at 1367 Road 205, Emporia, Kansas. The principal owner is Kevin Church. Kevin has a doctorate in forest ecology from the State University of New York-College of Environmental Science and Forestry at Syracuse University, a master's degree in environmental science from the University of Wisconsin at Green Bay, and a bachelor's in wildlife management from the University of Wisconsin at Stevens Point. He has more than 25 years of leadership and management experience with conservation agencies and universities.
Our Philosophy: Tallgrass Custom Wood Products offers landowners, builders, craftsmen, hobbyists, and homeowners high-quality wood products and services in a sustainable and environmentally sensitive manner.
We believe the wise-use of local wood resources can make a difference in the following ways:
(1) improves environmental quality by offering healthy alternatives (e.g., Osage-orange and black locust) to treated lumber and associated contaminants such as arsenic,
(2) promotes forest health in Kansas by focusing attention on the value of native hardwoods and biodiversity conservation,
(3) mitigates global deforestation by offering high-quality lumber from sustainable local resources as an alternative to the unregulated exploitation of rare exotic woods such as Brazilian ipe,
(4) reduces the carbon footprint by limiting the transporting of lumber from elsewhere, and
(5) diversifies the local economy by offering landowners an income from managed forest resources and by the development of infrastructure associated with timber and construction industries.